Red Bull Studios Cape Town: SFR and Kode 9
So you all know the Red Bull Studio Cape Town blog as you see it now is going to change. In a good way. It will look nicer and have added features. Just so you know.
Before that happens lets keep loading up music shall we not? This mix is one of the most exciting DJ mixes to come out on the this blog. Not because the other DJ mixes have been bad in any way, we wouldn’t have posted them if they weren’t the South African equivalent of a Resident Advisor mix. Its because most of the tracks on this particular mix are produced by the DJ himself, with several others being other local songs and some international bangers thrown in for good measure.
Enter SFR: South African Drum n Bass legend, who has recently taken on the fresh sound of Dubstep as his passion and master-craft as well. This mix, recorded at the studio, is everything a good Dubstep mix should be. Equal doses cosmic, skipping half-step rhythms and an artillery of basslines designed to tear all asunder.
01. SFR – Apocalypse Then [Forthcoming Hollow Point Recordings]
02. SFR & Mix ‘n Blend Ft. EJ Von Lyrik – Tantrum [African Dope]
03. Mr. Boogie & ill Bill Bachelor – Monkey Spank [Forthcoming Rottun Recordings]
04. Mix ‘n Blend – Out of Town (Hyphen & SFR’s cherries and berries remix) [African Dope]
05. Boltan – Nine to Five (DZ Remix) [Party Like Us]
06. SFR – Mozambican Smile [Forthcoming Hollow Point Recordings]
07. Breakage – Open up [Digital Soundboy]
08. SFR & Mr. Boogie – Moments in Time [Forthcoming Stroke Audio]
09. Turboweekend – Trouble is (Joker Remix) [Mermaid Records]
10. Skream – Minimalistix [Nonplus]
11. SFR – Babylon Beware Now ft. Farrell [Forthcoming Grid Recordings]
12. Mix ‘n Blend & Narch – I got Bitches [Forthcoming Muti Music]
13. SFR – Hideous Sound [Forthcoming Hollow Point Recordings]
14. Bassnectar – Basshead (SPL’s Alpha Juno rinseout remix)
15. SFR – Absolutely [Forthcoming Hollow Point Recordings]
16. Twelv ‘n Thesis – Games (Mix ‘n Blend’s Wreckin Like its Tekken Remix) [Forthcoming On a Break]
17. SFR – Binary Crunch [Guinea Pig Records]
18. Emalkay – When I look at you [Dub Police]
A very recent Red Bull Music Academy Radio show is a mix by Kode 9, prolific Dubstep pioneer and the man behind Hyperdub, arguably the most progressive and influential Dubstep labels since the genre’s inception. The mix is actually a kind of retrospective of all the music released on Hyperdub over the years and for me, it serves as a overview of the deeper sound of Dubstep at its absolute pinnacle. Definitely a blueprint for the future of bass music.